My own site

Show off your site here

My own site

Postby d6 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:59 am

Well after setting up sites for everyone else I went and set up my own site..

I'm hosting jokes, funny vids, pics, and some Calvin and Hobbes. Stop by and sign up. Post some jokes, vids anything you feel like. The vids might be a bit slow because they are hosted off my home comp but let me know what you think.

http://www.mmss.homeip.net

Check out my new E-Commerce site! http://HDToystore.com
d6

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby chucklehead » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:45 pm

~ Nice start. My first piece of advice would be to put the original footer information back.

chucklehead

Re: My own site

Postby d6 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:01 pm

all i got rid of was all that stuff about the security mod and version number. I left the Integramod link. And there are links to the integramod, forumimages, and phpbb sites in the link block.What else should be there?

d6

Postby chucklehead » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:44 pm

~ The footer is where the author of the theme and the author of the software post their copyright notices. If you read the included comments in the footer:

We request you retain the full copyright notice below including the link to http://www.phpbb.com.
This not only gives respect to the large amount of time given freely by the developers
but also helps build interest, traffic and use of phpBB 2.0. If you cannot (for good
reason) retain the full copyright we request you at least leave in place the
Powered by phpBB {PHPBB_VERSION} line, with phpBB linked to http://www.phpbb.com. If you refuse
to include even this then support on our forums may be affected

The phpBB Group : 2002

You have to retain the 3 links for phpBB, IntegraMOD and forumimages. These conditions are part of the license this software is released under. Replace forumimages with the link to the theme author if you are going to use another theme.

masterdavid : 2004

...it clearly states that these links are not to be removed.

~ I'm sorry but if it was my theme you were using and removed my footer info, i would demand that it either be added back in or that my theme be removed from your site!

~ Simple copyright laws and respect for the authors are why it's there. Having links elsewhere isn't the same and isn't a substitute for the original footer links.

~ I know you got the theme from FIF and I'm not sure if he has any licensing agreement in place but as an example, here's the agreement from this site:

All templates provided here, are available for pesonal use. Please do not download them to re-host them from your site. All original authors information has been retained in the overall_footer. Please do not remove this information. You may remove the IntegraMOD version, but do not remove the IntegraMOD link. Likewise, do not remove the phpBB link. These links, and information give credit to the hard working people who have freely made phpBB, IntegraMOD, these templates and images , available to you. If after accepting these terms, you remove the information anyway, you will forefit tech support and further use of this site. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and enjoy your download.
fi Design Team

chucklehead

Postby Helter » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:40 pm

Nice job d6 :)
I do however have to agree with Chucklehead on this issue.
If you did indeed get the template from Found It Forums, please ask Found it, what is acceptable to remove from his templates. I am pretty sure that his requirements are the same as here. Also, (for everyone) please do not burn your bridges with the other IntegraMOD theme sites because the owners of most of them, are admins here, with the power to enforce the rules. I would hate for anyone to loose access to this site, as you guys (and gals :) ) are the reason that we are here.

Helter
Site Admin

Postby d6 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:36 pm

lol My doing that had nothing to do with foundit or anyone else. I removed it lookin to clean up the looks thats all. I have no problem whatsoever putting it back in and will do so immediately. Thanks for the feedback, i must admit i didnt think about leavin that info in for those reasons.

Thanks again,
Mike

d6

Postby Helter » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:30 pm

Thx d6. I know that most ppl who cut that info are not trying to take undue credit, or rip anyone off. Most do it for the same reason as you described, but if we want ppl to continue to make good programs and templates, and release them for free, then we have to give them the credit they deserve. Otherwise, there is no incentive for ppl to be creative.

Helter
Site Admin

Postby Jacky » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:58 pm

You can remove the phpBB copyright link from the footer, but not from the core code. But if you remove it in the footer you cannot ask for support at phpBB.com. ;)

The following links might be helpful:

But I also advise you not to remove it. The developers use their time to work on such a nice forum script for no profit and if we were to remove it, it might be too much. :)

[font=Tahoma]Jacky[/font]
Jacky

Postby HBAndrew » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:46 pm

I always remove version numbers and always will, firstly is screws up peoples attempts googleing for Powered by phpBB 2.0.xx to find versions with flaws, secondly it helps me forget how lazy I am seeing an old version number down there if I don't get round to upgrading for a while.

Version numbers listed publically is suicide IMO. All other copyright fine but version numbers hell no.

HBAndrew

Postby Helter » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:18 pm

Jacky";p="451 wrote:You can remove the phpBB copyright link from the footer, but not from the core code. But if you remove it in the footer you cannot ask for support at phpBB.com. ;)

But I also advise you not to remove it. The developers use their time to work on such a nice forum script for no profit and if we were to remove it, it might be too much. :)

can i remove everything from the overall footer and replace it with "Made by Helter Skelter"? Yes I can, who is going to stop me? Does it make me a lying ass? yes it does! phpBB reallizes that they have no realistic legal recourse if you do it, so they nicely ask that you dont. All they can do is deny you tech support. The reason I get angry when i see ppl do this, is that we loose good designers/coders because they do this for free, only to see some bonehead take credit for what they did. You will never see another fi.com template for just that reason. For those who dont know, templates like fisubBlack3d and fisubBlue and tons of other great templates came from the original forumimages.com (not the current one), but we will never have a new release from them because they got tired of ppl taking thier credit!

Helter
Site Admin

Postby HBAndrew » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:06 pm

Yes no one can stop you and no one can make you put it back, if the person has any decency they will put it back if asked, if not they should get knocked down by a bus for being so ignorant.

If I ever remove copyrights for a very good reason, eg. it does not all fit into the footer images, I only remove basic stuff not the main copyrights, and even then I move them either into another table near the bottom, some on the same line, or somewhere in plain sight. So if copyrights are removed for a good reason like that, people should at least put them somewhere else in sight, it's not hard and what's a little text going to do to the looks of someones site, nothing.

Anyway, the footer looks so bare and boring without them :D

Even worse when people put their name there.

As for me and version numbers, EVIL BURN THEM lol, they go the second I see them.

HBAndrew

Postby Jacky » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:13 pm

HBAndrew";p="474 wrote:I always remove version numbers and always will, firstly is screws up peoples attempts googleing for Powered by phpBB 2.0.xx to find versions with flaws, secondly it helps me forget how lazy I am seeing an old version number down there if I don't get round to upgrading for a while.

Version numbers listed publically is suicide IMO. All other copyright fine but version numbers hell no.

IM 1.4.0 now shows the version number only to members who are logged in. ;)
But for safety sake, I removed all of them too. :)
Helter Skelter";p="477 wrote:
Jacky";p="451 wrote:You can remove the phpBB copyright link from the footer, but not from the core code. But if you remove it in the footer you cannot ask for support at phpBB.com. ;)

can i remove everything from the overall footer and replace it with "Made by Helter Skelter"? Yes I can, who is going to stop me? Does it make me a lying ass? yes it does! phpBB reallizes that they have no realistic legal recourse if you do it, so they nicely ask that you dont. All they can do is deny you tech support. The reason I get angry when i see ppl do this, is that we loose good designers/coders because they do this for free, only to see some bonehead take credit for what they did. You will never see another fi.com template for just that reason. For those who dont know, templates like fisubBlack3d and fisubBlue and tons of other great templates came from the original forumimages.com (not the current one), but we will never have a new release from them because they got tired of ppl taking thier credit!

Jacky

Postby Helter » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:24 pm

thank you for giving those links Jacky, I was not upset with you, only with the idea of ppl stealing credit for something they did not do.

Helter
Site Admin

Postby d6 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:08 pm

Lol Never though I would be the topic of so much converstation. Just an update I changed to one of Helters themes if anyone cares ;)

And yes the footer is intact except for the version numbers.

I dont want to be hated......snif sniff....
lol

Cheers all
Mike

d6

Postby Helter » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:11 pm

lol...this discussion wasnt about you, you just started it :)

BTW Mike, there is an updated copy of zoneCopper in the dl section that is complete. The one your using is missing several images and the borders on most pages

Helter
Site Admin

Next

Post a reply

Return to Showcase